Friday, October 8, 2010

How I'm Celebrating Mental Illness Awareness Week...

It's Mental Illness Awareness Week (MIAW).  In 1990 Congress established this week to recognize and speak up about the importance of mental health issues in order to broaden awareness of mental illness.  Every event you can imagine is going on this week in the US and Canada to commemorate MIAW.  People are marching, previewing films, holding vigils, and some television networks are airing mental health related shows. Whether we are participating in some major event or recognizing MIAW in a more personal or private way, this week is an opportunity for those of us with mental illnesses to talk about our experiences without shame and without fear of stigma.  

I'm doing several activities to celebrate MIAW.  I'm launching a fund-raising campaign in order to provide my local Depression and Bipolar Support group with new members, new opportunities, and better support.  Obviously I have personal experience with mental illness, but I could certainly use some instruction to help me better facilitate the group that I founded.  I am also campaigning for new members by contacting as many local health related businesses such as hospitals, doctors offices and therapists to spread the word about our group and generate more membership.  All of this costs money, of course, so I am solely trying to find sources of funding. 

I'm contacting members of my group who have requested my help in various ways.  One woman needed some information on local medical professionals who might be able to help her son.  Another woman just needed someone to check in with her a couple of times this week.  She has no support anywhere else.  And a third called just wanting information on where we meet.  These tasks occur almost every week, but I'm especially aware this week how important these seemingly small actions are.  They are making a difference in other people's lives one person at a time.  

As the recipient of a lot of love and concern by my spouse and friends and family, I am making sure that I tell each of them how much I appreciate the care they show me by asking how I am, listening when I am struggling and trying to understand what life is really like for me at times. 

I am trying to better educate myself in many issues that interest me but that I don't have much knowledge in, specifically mental health advocacy and work to reduce stigma related to mental health issues.  I am growing more passionate about these issues and I am leaning towards pursuing a career in some aspect of one or both - who knows!  But first, I must learn more. 

I'm trying to help educate others by spreading the word about mental illness resources and giving others information via Facebook and emails.  I am also providing, as usual, a great deal of literature to support group attendees and any other interested persons. 


I'm writing about mental health related topics on my blog, as I do from time to time.  


I'm donating a small financial gift to the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance. 


Finally, I am going to blog later this week about a part of my battle with depression that I have kept very private.  I wanted to blog about this topic last month, but couldn't get up the courage.  While I'm still hesitant to discuss it publicly, I have decided I will in the hope that it helps someone else, and also with the hope that it will explain to others why the causes associated with mental health awareness are so important to me.  So stay tuned this week as I continue to post MIAW related posts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment