Friday, April 1, 2011

Household Binder Linkup







I showed you my home management binder a few weeks ago, but when Jen at IHeartOrganizing posted the March challenge, "Project Household Binder", I knew I couldn't resist joining in the fun, seeing other people's suggestions and then relishing in looking at photos of all the binders that are linked up.  For a month I've been touching up, reorganizing, re-evaluating, searching the garage for file boxes that were moved out there after the great basement flood of 2010.  Now I have a delicious Home Management Binder that I am proud of and use everyday.

Now, I warn you, this post will be long.  However, there is so much to keep track of in our lives, there is no "easy" way to do it, so I decided I would get super organized to make life a little easier to manage. Let's get started.

I began with a lovely plum colored binder - I believe 1 inch and a half.  I also grabbed page protectors and dividers with pockets.  I also used my DYMO label maker that I LOVE.  

I slipped in a coversheet I made with Microsoft Word beneath the clear plastic on the outside of the binder.

In the pocket on the backside of the cover I slipped in any papers or notes that need immediate attention.  It's my reminder to me every time I open the binder that I've got to get to those tasks first.

First in my binder I inserted a pocket folder that has a flap that velcros shut.  Inside this pocket I keep a few post-its, a checkbook, and my notepad for random lists, etc.



With reflection about what categories were already in my binder, along with suggestion on Jen's site, I made lists of categories that I needed.  I rethought it out about ten times, scribbling and scratching.  Then I listed them in the order I wanted them.  The sheets of each section are contained in page protectors.  Finally I pulled out my shiny new pocket folders and DYMO labelmaker and got to work on the 16 categories I would use:
  • Planning and Schedule
  • Brainstorming
  • Contacts
  • Menu Planning
  • Household
  • Cleaning Lists
  • Maintenance
  • Health - Kyle
  • Health - Roxann
  • Pets
  • Auto
  • For Fun
  • Celebrations
  • Finances
  • Check Register
  • Important Documents
 Planning and Schedule

The first page in this section is my personal daily schedule.  I can't say that I stick to this every day, but it's important for people with mental illness, and especially bipolar disorder, to maintain a daily routine.  This schedule I made with Word and it includes the task, the time frame and the day of the week.



Next is a 2011 calendar from Anny.


And then a monthly calendar for each month in the rest of 2011 that I downloaded from IHeartOrganizing.  I color coded the appointments that I entered on it.  I highlighted Kyle's appointments in yellow, mine in purple, and the appointments we go to together with pink.  I lurve it!


Then for reoccurring events (birthdays, anniversaries) or special events (graduations) I have a two page spread with categories for each month:



At the end of that section is the 2012 calender, also from Anny's site.

 

Brainstorming

In this section the pages are all the same format, just the headings are different.


Agenda - Every week Kyle and I have a family meeting.  This agenda sheet helps me keep track of items we need to discuss - groceries, the menu, whether to renew the car warranty, etc.  That way our meetings are more productive.

To Do List - At our weekly meeting we each get a to-do list that is blank. Anything we talk about that requires action on my part or his we put on our own sheet.  So if I need Kyle to fix a pipe under the sink, he puts it on his list.  If he needs me to reschedule an appointment for him, I put it on my list.  That way I know what responsibilities I need to get to in the upcoming week. (And he can't say I didn't ask him to do something he didn't get done!  I'm tricky that way).

Ideas - This is a list for any brilliant ideas I get.  It might be something I want to do to the house (paint, add a shelf, etc).  Or, it could be an activity or and idea for my support group.  This gives me a place to brainstorm supplies, timing, etc.  It may be a list of fundraising activities for the support group, or blogs I want to write.  It's wide open!

Projects - Here I can keep track of various projects around the house, support group, etc.  If I'm preparing for a yard sale, it might include items such as "clean garage out, donate leftover items to charity, buy price tags and signs", etc.  This is different from event planning - that will come later.

Contacts

This section holds the contact information for anyone whom I may need to reach.  The first list is a quick reference list that I typed up in Word.  I am only showing you a bit of it for privacy reasons, but it has one section for personal numbers - family & friends, and then a business section for doctors, the plumber, etc.


Next I typed, also in Word, a list of names, addresses and phone numbers for the "Personal Contacts" page and also a "Business Contacts" page.  Same format for both.



Then I slipped in a business card holder sleeve I had.



Menu Planning

Our food/menu planning is pretty simple since it's just the two of us.  This section holds the grocery list.  I highlight items according to the store where I'll buy it.  For example, Splenda at Sam's Club (yellow), soda pop at King Soopers (orange) and laundry soap at Target or Walmart (green).  This way I don't have to have three different lists.


We actually do our and then the grocery list together at our family meeting.  Since we've both had gastric bypass, we *should* be eating three meals and three snacks a day, so my menu accommodates those needs.


When we're stumped for what to put down on any given day, we keep a "Favorite Recipes" list and a  "Recipes to Try" list.  As I'm going through magazines I slip any recipes I might want to try into divider pocket and write them on the list.


Household 

The heart of the binder - the household!  First up, a list of passwords and user IDs for the websites I use.  I print it off in an excel spreadsheet.  That way I can slip in a freshly updated, alphabetically ordered list anytime something is added or changed.  It's blurry on purpose, but you get the idea.


A list of our magazine subscriptions is next, which includes the magazine name, the end date of the subscription, the new amount due and whether or not we wish to cancel the subscription.


A list of insurance policies follows with a place to write the type of insurance (auto, home, mortgage life, life), the name of the insurer, the policy number and the amount.  


A sheet for the house-sitter (should we ever actually go on vacation) follows:


Then comes the home inventory sheet.  This can be extremely useful if you ever need to make a renter's or homeowner's insurance claim.  Along with the inventory, I suggest taking a digital photo of each item listed, saving a hard copy on CD and sliding it in the pocket for this section.


The last page in this section is a household wishlist.  This is where Kyle and I keep a list of any items we want for the house that are not essential nor necessary, i.e. a snowblower. 


Cleaning Lists
Although my daily cleaning list is on my personal schedule, I also keep a list of daily, weekly, monthly and seasonal lists.  The seasonal list includes two sections:  inside household and outside household.








Maintenance

Two pages make up this section:  Household Maintenance and Maintenance and Repairs.  The household maintenance gives me a place to list all the important maintenance that has been done, especially if it includes a warranty (for example the garage door opener).


The other sheet just gives me a checklist to note any items that need our attention around the home - paint touch ups, drains run, etc.  This list also includes major items that need repairs or replaced such as the furnace or water heater.


Health - Kyle

The health sections are separate for each person in the family  In our house, we have two sections total.
The first sheet is a medical information sheet that we can grab when there is a medical emergency. 


In the page protector I slip a copy of Kyle's insurance card.  

Following the insurance card is a copy of Kyle's Advanced Directive - also nice to have in an emergency.  Lastly, I put a copy of any recent bloodwork or test results that he might need to share with various providers. 

My health section is identical but also includes my Mental Health Advanced Directive, my immunization record, blood-work and doctors brochure for the allergy clinic describing their services. 

In the pocket of the divider for that section is blank copies of a claims form for our insurance company, since one of my providers does not directly bill insurance and I have to submit the claim myself. 

Pets

My furry friend gets his own section - though he shares it with Hedgie.  

First up a Pet Info sheet much like the medical information sheet in the last section.

There's one for Hedge and one for Pip.  In the next sleeve protector is a copy of his rabies vaccination record, and behind that is a copy of receipt from his last check-up and shots.  In the last page protector is a handout from the Vet's office listing hours, services, etc.  I would leave this form with the pet info form if we had to have someone care for Pip while we were out of town.

I also suggest slipping a current photo of each pet in the pocket divider in case your pet goes missing.

Auto

Auto maintenance list noting any major repairs or recall information.


Behind that is a copy of the receipts for any important work.


And lastly, a copy of the last inspection report.



In the divider pocket I place items that need reviewed such as renewed warranty, etc.


Fun Stuff


This section includes only two items at present. Date Night Ideas and Travel Info.  Hopefully more will be added, such as theme park guides, zoo brochure and other recreational activities.





Celebrations

This section is for items related to events and parties and holidays. First up, the event planning page:


And of course, a guest list:



Holiday Card List


And a Holiday Gift List:


And a Birthday Gift List that is identical to the Holiday Gift List but with it's own heading.

I keep cards in the divider pocket for the next 2 months of the upcoming birthdays/anniversaries/celebrations.

Stay with me, we're almost there!!!

Finances

Probably one of the most important sections, I gave this one a lot of thought.  First up is a Bill Tacker list. This is a quick reference if we want to know our balance or pay off a bill, as well as easy to access info if we need to contact someone we owe.


An Easy Budget form:

Charitable Contributions:


In the pocket on the divider I keep paper-clipped together any paper bills I just paid, and then also clipped together any paper bills I need to pay.  Most of our bills come via email, so I don't have too many in this binder.

Check Register

Instead of keeping a little register in my wallet, I keep track of checking on this sheet.  I highlight each item when it clears the bank, making balancing much easier.


Important Documents

I've long debated where to store our most important documents.  I finally decided to put them in this binder, because along with Pip and Hedgie, this binder is what I grab as our house burns down.  This section includes page protectors that hold our college transcripts, my copy of the GRE exam results, etc.  I use a label on the outside of the protector to easily note whether it's mine or Kyle's document.  Finally, I used a clear plastic zip sleeve to hold my original immunization record, passports, birth certificates, social security cards, marriage license, and any other information I deem essential.

Lurve having it all in one place, and can even see it all!
At the very end is another business card holder into which I slid the credit cards we don't carry with us and don't use unless it's an emergency or rare occasion.  I use a little piece of tape to hold these in just to reassure myself that they won't fall out and get lost.


Whew!  That's a lot of accomplishment for one month!  But it's actually been a work in progress for some time.  I can't concentrate well, so I do a little at a time, and my OCD/perfectionist nature makes it very hard for me to let go until it's - well, perfect.  

Most of these forms are available on my Etsy site.  I will update it, hopefully in the next week or two, with some customizable forms.  The Etsy collection also includes child information sheets that cover school, daycare, etc.  Since I don't have kiddos, they obviously aren't included in my binder. 

So that's it!  This is how I keep track of everything and preserve (some) of my sanity.  I can't remember anything for longer than a second at present, so this book is also known as MY BRAIN.  
If only I could improve my picture taking skills!  

Enjoy making your own binder, and thanks for stopping by!










10 comments:

  1. You did a great job! I made a Flylady Control journal some years ago but this series by Jenn has helped me bring it back and freshen it up. Still working on pictures to get it posted to the linky though!

    I was excited to see a geographical neighbor on here, I'm a twenty-something Montanan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy in Montana! Thanks for the comment :) I had fun but was also exhausted! Looking forward to getting to see you - and Flylady is a great site! Thanks for checking out my blog and leaving me a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I only just found out about the binders so haven't created one myself but decided to peruse around and see what everyone came up with and get some great ideas!

    I think you're cover sheet is the prettiest one I've seen yet and I LOVE the idea of a date sheet! Hubs and I definitely need to include that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your entry! What font do you use in your book? It is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used Pea Amy from http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going through testings right now to see if i'm Bipolar or just have some kind of really bad depression cycles that keep coming over and over but anyways, im by nature usually very positive and extremely perfectionist ;) This project is a life saving idea...Thank you SO MUCH! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get some answers, Sassy. You're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping a list of your insurance policies is certainly a good idea. You get to keep close track on your policies and all in one place. I'll keep this post in mind and I will certainly suggest it to my friends who work in a home insurance company in Dedham MA. I think they will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this great post!
    Directors and Officers should review the D&O insurance policies of their insurance to determine the extent of the coverage available. They may not want to be over-insured, but they definitely don't want to be under insured. Speaking of insurance, if you are looking for an excellent insurance company that offers home insurance in Dartmouth MA, I highly recommend you check out HIG.

    ReplyDelete