Wednesday, June 6, 2012

21 Things...

Pip loves the Internet, too!  But he gets tuckered out from the excitement.
 I spend a significant amount of time online, and I have been amazed with some of the great places I've found to learn, amuse myself or explore.  I thought I would share 21 of my favorites over the next few blog posts.  

I first went online in around 9th or 10th grade, I'm guessing.  I set up my first email account on Yahoo! in 1999.  I visited my first chat room in the summer of 1999.  I immediately fell in love with the 'nets ability to connect me to the world and people like me.  I've made some amazing friendships online.  My dear Ruth came all the way from Texas to marry Kyle and me!  

I've also been connected to people who I wouldn't otherwise have had much communication with, including family members and even acquaintances from childhood.  People might have passed out of my life permanently had we not reconnected through Facebook (or Myspace) all these years later, or stayed connected through Facebook. 

While the Internet is appealing to some because of their ability to hide their true identity, I fell in love with it for the opposite reasons.  I could be just me and find people who liked me for me.  It was liberating and exciting to know that I could say what was on my mind and heart without seeing the look of disapproval on someone's face.  

I am still passionate about the Internet for the same reasons and so any more today.  I love learning.  I would be a full time student for the rest of my life if I could.  The great part of the education I have already received is that it has well prepared me to continue my education on my own.  As much as I miss being in a traditional classroom and listening to great lectures, there are so many other avenues available for educating myself, and the Internet is just one of them - but a fantastic one!  The information is unlimited, and even though it must be scrutinized for bias and inaccuracies, there are a plethora of reliable sites out there for obtaining info on any subject I can think of. 


As I share my favorites with you these next three weeks, don't hesitate to share some of yours with me via the comments section.  I would love to know what interests we share and what playgrounds I have yet to encounter online. 

1 comment: