Sunday, June 10, 2012

Bargains...


Who doesn't love a bargain?  I know I do.  One of my favorite websites is www.retailmenot.com.  This site allows me to look for available coupons for both in-store and online purchases.  Sometimes the coupons are for a percentage off the total, sometimes they are buy one get one free, and often I can find codes for free shipping!  The discounts can really add up and make a difference in my budget.

No matter what I'm shopping for, but especially if it's online, I check out this site to see if there is a discount available.  It's especially helpful for purchases from pricier merchants.  I plug the business name or website into RetailMeNot, and it gives me a list of possible coupons as well as information on how recently they were used, the success rate of their use, and possible expiration dates.  Sometimes it gives a direct link to the coupon - like those I need to print out to take into the store.  Other times it just gives me the promotion code to enter during the checkout process online.  


Some retailers let me use multiple codes - that is, I might get a percentage off AND free shipping.  Others only let me use one.  For those, I plug in one code and note the final price, then plug in the other and see which is the better deal.  It all depends on the retailer. Some charge a steep shipping and handling fee, so it might be better to go with the free shipping.  But, if it's a big or expensive purchase, a percentage or dollar off coupon might get me the better deal.  It's a little bit of trial and error sometimes, but it can mean a sizable discount if I take the time to experiment.  


For example, let's look at Franklin Covey.  I love their planner accessories, and I've been wanting a new planner shell for sometime.  But I'm not in love with their prices.  However, if I plug in Franklin Covey, I get the following available offers: 

  • 15% off orders of $65 or more
  • 15% off of any size order
  • Free shipping on orders of $75 or more
Obviously, if I'm spending over $65, it doesn't matter which 15% code I use.  And the free shipping over $75 doesn't require a code - it's an automatic discount once my cart has $75 worth of product in it.  This means that if I spent over $75, I would get 15% off AND free shipping.  However, if my discount code brings my total below $75, the free S&H doesn't apply.  All of this must be considered before determining the best deal. I may have to remove the first offer code to try the second, but sometimes the retailer will evaluate which coupon gives me the better deal and selects for me.  In this instance, though, I could easily save $20 off $100. 

For stores that nearly always have a weekly coupon available for in-store use (i.e. Michaels and Hobby Lobby), I can just go to RetailMeNot to get the latest ones available instead of searching each retailer's entire site for the coupon or link.  This makes it easy to print them out before I head out the door.  

Not every retailer has coupons available, and not all of the ones listed always work, but it's worth checking to see if any apply to my purchases.  I often sit down with my shopping list and see what coupons are available for the items I need.  I also try to figure out if I can order them online at a better price than in-store.  This has the added bonus of them arriving in my mailbox or on my porch instead of me trying to find them in the store only to discover they're sold out or finding fifteen other items I think I "need" when I went in for just one.  

RetailMeNot isn't the only place to look for discounts and promotion codes.  Several similar sites are out there and are just as good, but this one is my favorite for its simplicity and because I'm familiar with it.  It's saved me substantial money and it's always a bit fun to mess around with the various codes and find the best deal.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment