Saturday, March 27, 2010

Admit It, Kindle Users - Don't You Miss the Bookstore?

I don't have one of the new Kindle or Nook readers, partly because I don't want to spend the money on one, but even if I could I doubt I would purchase one.  I see the logic in it - carrying my entire bookcase, (okay, bookcases), everywhere I go.  Whether on the beach or on a plane, I could have my entire stash of books with me.  And it would certainly give me way more wall space, not to mention the multitude of trees it would save some rain forest.  But there's just something special about a book that can't be replaced by electronic readers.  A favorite quote goes like this: 

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."  ~Anna Quindlen

In the latest edition of Entertainment Weekly, The Pop of King, Stephen King writes about how the "Kindle certainly has its charms, but e-readers can never fully replace books."  I so agree.  There is something inherently special about the cracking open of the cover of a new book.  Deeply, I inhale the scent of the fresh, heavy pages.  A new book smells so divine.  I run my fingers over the cover, matte or glossy?  I especially love the sensation of the raised print title or author.  And what about the thrill of browsing the bookstore, running my fingers along the spines of a row of books?  Pulling one out, reading the flap or the back cover, and then replacing it when the next one catches my eye?  Nothing can replace the pleasure of browsing a bookstore, piling favorite selections in my arms and then devouring them page by page when I get home.

Granted, I will probably have back problems early in life due to the carrying of heavy sacks of books my whole life.  As an undergraduate majoring in literature, my book load was plenty.  And  I've never known how to limit myself in the bookstore or the library.  Just last week I came home from the library with almost twenty books.  Some might say it's a compulsion, or even a problem.  I call it a passion.  Though I hate that I can't underline my favorite passages and dog-ear the pages of the books on loan.  Before I went to college, I kept my books in pristine condition, except for the ones that just eventually wore out because they'd been read a million times, or a few that were accidentally coated in Kool-aid or an RC cola.  I never wrote in them or dog-eared the pages.  Then I got to college and via used book purchases and observation I noted that people were actually writing and highlighting in their textbooks.  Blasphemy!  Offensive!  Sinful!  An utter violation!  How could I be expected to write on crisp, snowy white pages that displayed the words of geniuses?  It was beyond comprehension.


I soon began to gradually see the beauty in the marking up of a text, especially those that I fell in love with.  I could underline favorite passages, circle words that filled my mouth, mark the pages so that, in a hurry, I would know exactly where to turn.  Soon my books were brimming with lines and colors, too. 


I couldn't do that with a Kindle.  First of all, I understand they are in black and white.  Which isn't that big of a deal, but half the pleasure of a new book is the examination of the color and art of the cover.  At least  it is for me.  On occasion, I have been known to judge a book by its cover.  Now, I'm sure that a color version is in the works, or that the new iPad will probably be above and beyond; however, I am convinced that none of them will ever measure up to "real" books.  Even if I bought a Kindle for convenience's sake, I'd probably end up buying the paperback version, too.  And if I'm going to spend twice as much money as I already do on books, I want to have twice as many books.  Even if I do have to build a new house or an addition to this one.  


Like Mr. King, I see the beauty of the e-books, but I'll never be convinced they are better than the real thing.  I am a die hard Internet fan, and I love technology, but this is one invention that I can't get behind.  I am also concerned about what it does to hurt the whole writing, publishing and bookstore industry, but that's an entirely other long subject.  I can't imagine the eradication of books and bookstores the way that the CD has gone, and probably the way the DVD will soon go,  what with digital downloads and all.  


My heart will break if, someday, there are no bookstores.  Books are my Eden, my paradise, my promised land.  They hold the potential of taking me anywhere, anytime.  No technology will ever hold for me the power of a book in my hands.  For that is my bliss.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment