Monday, November 29, 2010

Highs and Lows of Substitute Teaching...

Some days I come home from subbing and I feel strangely energetic and happy.  Other days I come home and fight sleep for three hours before finally caving and just going to bed.  It amazes me that every assignment is so individualized in how it can turn out.  Some assignments are a piece of cake - the sub plans are complete and thorough.  Students know their routines and stick to the schedule.  Teachers point out possible problems or concerns.  Other times the lessons barely make sense, the kids thrive on knowing a sub is in the room and that she may not know the rules.  Kids are in and out of their seats, have a million reasons for why they can't settle down and read, and whisper snide comments under their breath.  

I really prefer subbing for specials like music and art, because that way I get to see lots of different kids throughout the day, and I'm not stuck with any one group that is troublesome.  I love sitting with the kids at the table and doing whatever they are doing for art.  They are in awe that a sub would actually take interest in what they are doing.  

It's also interesting that I can get a feel for a place within the first few minutes of walking in the door. Some schools are very warm and welcoming and the staff is polite, kind and helpful.  Other schools feel cold, sterile and staff is curt and less than welcoming.  I try to stick to the cheerful schools, because it helps me to be cheerful when I'm surrounded by others who are also happy.  And who wants a crabby sub, especially in something that is supposed to be fun like music or art? 

I was amazed as I subbed in one art class before Thanksgiving.  The teacher stressed the importance that the pilgrims be authentic - they should wear clothing that would have been traditional, etc.  The kids adhered to his directions and developed perfectly accurate pilgrims - except for one aspect.  Most of the pilgrims were packing heat - AK47s seemed to be most popular.  And did you know that pilgrims' preferred method of conveyance are tanks?  I was certainly educated on what "traditional" means.

One day I was 20 separate teachers.  Literally.  Teachers had 20 minute BIT meetings through the day, so I floated from class to class covering for 20 minutes at a time.  Another day I was in one room with three other subs, as well as  5  additional adults who were all there for various purposes.  Eight adults in one classroom was certainly overkill. 


I don't like the hit or miss of finding work, especially during times like now when I am wanting extra money for the holidays.  I do like the flexibility of being able to turn down jobs when I'm not interested or not feeling well.  Lots of pros and cons exist for subbing, but so far it's been mostly a positive experience.  Hopefully the kids feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment