Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Cherokee Parable...Two Wolves



I can't remember where I first heard this, but I came across it again recently as I surfed the Internet.  I find it deeply meaningful.

________________________________________________

The Parable of Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on in all people.  He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves that dwell inside each and every one of us.  

"One is Evil.  It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.

"The other is Good.  It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute, and then asked his grandfather:  "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied: "The one you feed."

 _________________________________________________

Which wolf are you feeding?  I have been feeding the wrong wolf lately.  I've had a bit too much envy, jealousy and sorrow.  But I do try to stay committed to daily effort of finding five parts of life to be grateful for, ways to show others kindness, and honest effort to be truthful.  Sometimes the wrong wolf wins.  I'm not giving up, though.  It is my hope that over time the Evil wolf will become emaciated and starving while the Good wolf is well-nourished.

1 comment:

  1. I love this parable, Roxann. I can see why it endures; it is so true to life. I try to feed the Good wolf, but sometimes the Evil one swoops in and steals the Good wolf's dinner. We do the best we can, right? And never give up, like you said.

    ReplyDelete