Sunday, August 1, 2010

Remodel Nearly Complete...

My blogging has taken a backseat, along with everything else, while I have been remodeling a room in our house.  Perhaps you remember back when I turned our "office" into my crafting area and it looked something like this:

If not, refresh your memory by rereading my blogpost called Crafter's Paradise.  Unfortunately, my new paradise didn't have as much natural light as I would have liked, and so I soon relocated to our sunroom and my space looked like this:


I was somewhat happier, but I still felt that my  space wasn't as organized as it could be.  I also wasn't fond of all my stuff crammed into that white cabinet.  The shelves didn't sit straight and they were warped.  But it was better than nothing, and the natural light made me very happy.  


I've finally reached a point of satisfaction with my crafting area.  I recently repainted an old dresser we had.  I then used some shelving I already owned to increase the storage capacity on top of the dresser.  Here is my new and improved crafting area:


I finally found a storing solution that I love for my unmounted clear stamps - I now keep them in jewel cases for cds.  They stick to the plastic case perfectly, and I just slide the plastic sheet into the case after I cut it in two and I can see easily what stamps I have.  Tiny labels on the edge of the case tell me which case has which stamps. 

You may be noticing that there is an aqua/teal color on the wall and then cream.  Well, I started painting the wall aqua because I intended to paint the whole room that color.  It is cream at present.  But having just finished (almost) the bedroom of the same color, I'm not sure I want to undertake another huge painting project at this point.  So I will either repaint the aqua cream or forge ahead with plans to repaint the entire room.  More than likely, it will go back to cream color.  


Now for the best part of my remodel energies.  This is the way our office/junk room looked when I first started stripping wallpaper off the wall and there was still some miscellaneous junk in there along with paper torn from the walls:






Once the wallpaper was stripped off and the new coat of paint was on them, my next task was to get rid of the ugly blue carpet and I crossed my fingers in the hopes that the hardwood floors beneath would be usable...
And, all in all, they were not bad at all!  But thanks to the fact that someone got latex paint on them, it took a serious amount of scrubbing to get them bright and shiny.

And so, once the floors were scrubbed (and scrubbed, and scrubbed again), and the lovely Behr color called Refreshing Pool was on the walls, this was what our once craft room/office now looked like as our bedroom:
I plan to put a wall decal on this wall that says "Always kiss me goodnight".  I also want to buy a large "K" and "R" in either wood or metal and paint them a chocolate brown to coordinate with the bedding.  I will put them on the wall above our portrait to personalize the room a little.  The other key piece I want to add is something special that we did in Texas.  As part of my family week there, we wrote a list of "Love/Likes" about the other person, so I am going to frame those and add my list about him to his side of the wall and his list about me to my side.  This will be one of my favorite elements of our new room. 

Here is a little bit better shot of the wood floors once they were cleaned up. I want to trade out the cream bedskirt for a white one.  But baby steps. 

A view of the closet.  I need to find another knob for the left side door. The color on the walls is a little cooler than it appears here. 

 
I'm loving all the natural light in here.  After four years of sleeping in the basement, the beautiful teal color of the room along with the big window make for a bright but warm room.
I intend to make this wall and the wall behind the open door photo walls - these photos will just be of Kyle and me.  They will be photos of us having fun, being silly and enjoying life.  Something peaceful and happy to look at before we go to sleep each night.

We are keeping minimal items in this room.  No TV in the bedroom anymore!  Not sure how long that will last.  But we don't want a lot of furniture and whatnot taking up room. I want it open and relaxing.  Warm and inviting.  We keep a scrabble board on the bookshelf by the bed and we play a game or two in bed a couple of nights a week.  It's a great room just for the two of us to spend time together. 

So there you have it.  That is where my creative and other energies have been going for four weeks.  I hope to have the bits and pieces done in another two weeks or so. I am waiting on my photos order to get here, then comes the task of finding  picture frames that I like or can paint to match the others.  This is the fun part - accenting the room with personal touches after lots of hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment