Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Reading is Fundamental...


When I finally learned to read, I never slowed down. I consumed books voraciously and continuously.  We didn't often have the money to buy many books, so Mom took my brother and I to the library very regularly, especially in the summers when we didn't have the school library at our disposal.  And because I would read through them so rapidly, it would have taken much wealth to keep me supplied anyways!  


The books I did have I treasured, though and I took good care of them.  When I got to college and learned that writing and highlighting in books was commonplace, I was aghast, and it was well into my second semester before I took pen to page.  Now I mark them up in any number of ways, but as a kid I took special care to keep them pristine. 

Most anyone remembers Scholastic and book orders.  I would pour over my book order pages, reading the description of every book on the pages, circling the ones I wanted, and then negotiate with my parents about which ones we could afford.  My parents were great about finding money for book orders even when it probably meant we went without something else.  

I salivate when I think of the delirious joy I felt when that cardboard box was sitting on my teacher's desk just waiting for her to hand them out to us.  But Scholastic and book orders also meant you had to have the money to buy them in the first place, and it would be disappointing to see the other kids go home with their new books when it was one of those times I hadn't asked for or my parents hadn't been able to give me money for them. 

When you were a child, did your school receive the benefit of the Reading is Fundamental (RIF) program?  Kyle had never heard of it when we were talking the other day, and I went to my happy place remembering my experience with it.  

RIFs mission is this:  To motivate young children to read by working with them, their parents, and community members to make reading a fun and beneficial part of everyday life.   

Twice that I remember, but possibly more often, RIF came to my schools to bring absolutely free books to the students which they could then take home.  They would lay them out across the tables in the library or the lunchroom.  The books covered all ranges of topics, reading levels and authors.  Each child could browse the pages, feel the glossy covers and gaze at the colorful illustrations.  Once the treasure was selected, the book he or she would make his own was stamped and the child's name written in it.  What a difficult decision, trying to pick just one delicious book! 


Imagine the absolute treat it is to be given a brand new book, of your choice, for your very own, especially if new books are rare occurances!  Everyone leaves with the same amount of books - just one - and I didn't have to feel any guilt for asking for money from my parents to pay for it.  It was heaven.

My first encounter with RIF was in my very first year of school and Wind River Elementary School.  I ended up choosing The Gingerbread Man.  

And 25 years later, I still have it. 

And see - there's the little stamp and my name written with my Kindergarten teacher's handwriting (and, ahem, mispelled).
In fifth grade I was having an extra hard time deciding which book to pick, so Mrs. Russell (probably for the sake of her sanity and with regard to the amount of time it was taking me) helped me select The Witch of Blackbird Pond.  


And 19 years later, I still have it. 



My name is spelled correctly, but in my own handwriting this time.

 
I wonder how many other adults still have treasured books from their childhood.  Though I moved many many times growing up, these books moved with me always.  They sit on a special bookshelf in my craft room that stores my favorites from childhood, also including:
  • All the Beverly Cleary Beezus and Ramona books. (My second set because I completely wore out the first one).
  • The Little House series. (My third set because I completely wore out the first two).
  • The Anne of Green Gables series.
  • It Can't Hurt Forever about a little girl who undergoes heart surgery that I first read around the time my Dad had his first heart attack.
  • Striped Ice Cream about a poor family that has chicken spaghetti and striped ice cream to celebrate birthdays. 
Part of the reason I kept these books was because I knew that someday I would want to share them with my own daughter.  One of the hardest parts of deciding not to have our own children was knowing I wouldn't be sharing them with my own little girl.  But I get to share them with others - including you who read this blog. 


I also kept them because they were two of the greatest gifts I ever received. They were not large, did not come in a shiny box and require no accessories.  They were not expensive or extravagant gifts - in fact, the sum total of their sticker prices is $6.00.  (Ahhh, to buy a book for $3.50 again!)  But they were priceless. 

They are a lifetime reminder that reading IS fundamental, for anyone, no matter who you are or what challenges you face in trying to be a reader.  And being a reader is an essential piece of who I am as an individual.  Throwing away these books would have been discarding a piece of myself, and it would have hurt tremendously.  I'm so grateful I held onto them.  


RIF certainly achieved their mission in reaching me with their generosity and thinking back on them and the impact two tiny books had on my life has led me to research what I can do to support RIF and the great work they do.  I'm filled with gratitude for what they did for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment